Saturday, July 23, 2011

PHOLICIOUS

Pho is delicious any time of year. It is filling, comforting, and light on the stomach. If you have lived in Richmond for some time now and haven't had a chance to try the pho it has to offer, maybe it's time you put some shoes on and get in the car to go get some.

I've got like three go-to pho spots. Always go for the largest bowl. Let me tell you a little about them, and don't forget to look for the business information at the bottom:

Pho So 1: which I like to call 'pho sho' (as the answer I would give if someone wants to go) is probably my top recommendation, although I like the mom and pop one behind it almost equally. Let me explain why I would talk about Pho So first- Basically, Pho So is all about pho. You go in, you sit down, and you order pho. Caution: sometimes the server may appear rude- hasn't happened to me, but I've heard reports... Regardless: Order the most appetizing looking pho, for me usually one with tripe, and then awe at the fact that it comes out so quickly. Literally, every time I have been there it takes less than 7 mins before the order is placed for the food to come out. Potential caveat: Pho So does not serve alcoholic drinks. In my opinion, though, however enjoyable a hot bowl of pho might be with a cold beer, it says a lot about the fact that this place has developed a firm foundation in its food. If you need to drink, let me tell you about...

Mekong: which I've heard pronounced 'Mee-kong' but also 'Meh/May-kong'. I don't care what you call it, but if you do, please consult with a server or a Vietnamese friend (if you got one) and get back with me. Mekong is a favorite of many. Not my first choice for pho (see previous post), but first choice if intention is to pursue a less pragmatic purpose such as just eating. Mekong's slogan is "Mekong is for beer lovers", which goes to say that they have a fairly wide selection of brews to enjoy with your pho or noodle dish. The service is always quite motivated and that's a plus. Pricewise it may run a little more than the other two, but always within that 7-11 dollar pho range. This place is usually packed so don't be surprised if you have to wait a little to check out. O, about the pho- it's good, like...

Tay DO: constitutes my second recommendation although listed third. The beer was just too good a transition to miss. Tay DO Vietnamese restaurant is like the quintessential mom and pop pho restaurant. It is a little building located about a block behind Pho So 1 with parking room for about six cars on site (more parking is available on street). Tay DO is the least expensive of the three and equally good. I'd say there pho has a touch of home, a higher sense of authenticity, than the other two. I'd say eating there is as if your mother were Vietnamese, and you were simply at home eating there. Its lower accommodation in a way allows for greater tact and care to be taken in the preparation of dishes. Potential Caveat: It is easy to miss so try to get there while it is light out. Cash only. I'm serious, they only take cash, so don't forget to stop by an ATM if you are venturing into this delicious little place for supper. You will not be disappointed.

Summary: Pho So 1 is awesome for people who want there pho as quickly as possible. Mekong is for beer lovers. Tay DO is best for the wallet and for those seeking a touch of home.

Business Info:
Pho So 1
6403 Rigsby Road, Richmond, VA 23226
(804) 673-9940

Mekong
6004 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230
(804) 288-8929
www.mekongva.com

Tay DO
6328 Rigsby Rd, Richmond, VA 23226
(804) 288-3861

No comments: