Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cafe Rustica's Wonderful Beets



I remember as a child I hated beets. The taste was between a mediocre sweet and a mediocre salty, and would surprise me later as it seemed I flushed blood down the toilet after a visit. As a young adult I hated beets, because of the bad memories I still had as a child. Up to the day I walked into Cafe Rustica I hated beets, and when I sat down at the table, I despised them still. But not for long...

After that dish was brought out to the table and I had parted the first piece; after I had chewed on that first piece with the timeliness and delicacy of someone's flesh, it hit me that what I was tasting had changed something in my perception of the condemned purple root. Here I was tasting a bizarre slice of euphoria. There it was exploding in my mouth slowly and delicately and at the same time invaded it like vandals in Rome- pleasure vandals; vandals that had vowed their loyalty to some Bacchus or Epicurus. It was, I tell you, more like a vision than a taste. It was delicious...

Cost: $7.
Address: 414 E Main St, Richmond, VA.

No comments: